Zorin 6.5 vs. 7 vs. 7 Ultimate

still muddling my way through zorin 6.5
What are the significant differences between 7 and 7 Ultimate?
Can 7 be installed “on top of” 6.5? (i.e. no data/settings loss)
Last of my Pcs to be liberated from microsoft;
(this machine “does not meet minimum Win11 spec”)
Intend to do a “clean” install, to 2x New 2TB Samsung EVO 870 SSDs
(Lenovo ThinkStation C30)
Intel Xeon E5 v2 @ 2.50GHz 34 °C
Ivy Bridge-EP/EX 22nm Technology
Intel Xeon E5 v2 @ 2.50GHz 37 °C
Ivy Bridge-EP/EX 22nm Technology
RAM:
64.0GB DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
LENOVO LENOVO (CPU 0) 29 °C
Graphics
PL2474H (1920x1080@60Hz)
PL2474H (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (NVIDIA) 33 °C

As mentioned above, still muddling my way through 6.5 (many, many thanks to the community),
Would 7 (and/or ultimate) require a new “learning adventure”? (as was my emigration from Windows to Zorintopia)
thnks for any useful info,
john

Hello John,

It sounds like you’ve been exploring Zorin OS 6.5 and are now considering upgrading to Zorin OS 7 or 7 Ultimate. Here’s a breakdown to address your queries:

1. Differences between Zorin OS 7 and 7 Ultimate: The core differences lie in the additional features and software that Ultimate offers. Zorin OS 7 Ultimate typically includes a wider range of pre-installed applications, games, and business tools, along with comprehensive support options. It’s designed for users who want the most complete experience and additional software out of the box. The standard version, Zorin OS 7, will still provide a robust and user-friendly experience but with a more basic set of pre-installed software.

2. Upgrading from 6.5 to 7: Typically, in-place upgrades (where you install a new version over the old without losing data/settings) are possible within the same major release, but jumping from 6.5 to 7 might not support this directly. The safest approach, especially considering your plan for a clean install, is to back up your data and then perform a fresh installation of Zorin OS 7. This ensures compatibility and stability, especially given the significant hardware upgrade you’re planning.

3. Hardware Compatibility: Your Lenovo ThinkStation C30 with its impressive specs (dual Intel Xeon CPUs, 64GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650) is more than capable of running Zorin OS 7 or 7 Ultimate smoothly. The transition to SSDs will also offer a significant performance boost.

4. Learning Curve: Moving from Zorin OS 6.5 to 7 should be less of a ‘learning adventure’ compared to your initial switch from Windows to Zorin. While there will be some changes and updates in the interface and features, the underlying principles and the user experience of Zorin OS remain similar. Zorin OS 7 is designed to be user-friendly, especially for those transitioning from Windows, so you should find it relatively easy to adapt to.

Good luck with your upgrade, and enjoy the enhanced experience with Zorin OS 7!