Issues login in to laptops

Hi,
I have 2 laptops, HP Pavilion, not exactly the same model but quite similar. In both laptops I have issues login in. Every time the screen locks…
In one laptop specially when it is connected to a second screen using HDMI, I have to log in twice. The first time automatically locks the system again and I have to write the password again to login.
In the other laptop every time it locks, when I log in again, it closes all my windows and apps.

Looking for a solution looks like it could be a graphic driver problem. I updated the system but I may need to update the graphic drivers manually to the last propetary version. In both laptops I have Intel iRISxe graphics.

How can I update the drivers and would it be any incompatibility with the system?

Thanks in advance

Hi @Username1

Your description sounds like it could indeed be related to graphics drivers, especially given the issues on login and the connection with an external HDMI display. Here’s a step-by-step guide to update the Intel graphics drivers on your Ubuntu/Zorin OS systems:

1. Add the Official Intel Graphics Repository:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
    sudo apt update

2. Update the Drivers:

sudo apt upgrade

3. Restart Your Computer:
    Once the update is completed, you should restart your system to ensure the new drivers are loaded.

4. Check the Installed Driver Version:
    You can verify the driver version with the following:

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"

5. Potential Incompatibilities:

• Keep in mind that while updating drivers can solve many issues, there’s always a chance it could introduce new ones.
    • The PPA mentioned above is generally stable and well-maintained. However, if you do encounter issues after updating, you might consider rolling back the drivers or using a different PPA.
  6. Rolling Back the Update:
    If you experience problems after updating, you can revert to the default drivers provided by Ubuntu/Zorin OS:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

7. Additional Tips:

• Ensure your OS is fully updated with the latest patches: sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
    • If you continue to experience issues after updating the graphics drivers, consider checking for firmware updates for your laptop model from the HP website. Firmware updates can sometimes address hardware-specific issues.

After following these steps, test to see if the login issues have been resolved. If not, further troubleshooting may be needed. But starting with the graphics drivers is a sensible first step.

Hi,
Thank you for your help. I added the repository but it didn’t install any official driver from intel. Just the “apt upgrade” didn’t install anything. I checked if now it would appear new hardware drivers in the “software and updates” section but no.
I am still using the same drivers as before:
‘’’
Pavilion:~$ glxinfo | grep “OpenGL version”
OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.2.6
‘’’
How can I show the available drivers from Intel and force to use install and use them?

It seems you are currently using Mesa, an open-source graphics driver, which also supports Intel graphics. If you wish to explore Intel’s proprietary drivers, follow these steps:

1. Download Intel Graphics Drivers:

Go to Intel’s official website to look for the latest iRIS Xe graphics drivers for Linux:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Once on the website:

a. Search for “Intel iRIS Xe graphics Linux” or similar keywords.

b. Download the appropriate driver for your system.

2. Installation:

Typically, Intel graphics drivers for Linux come in .tar.gz format. Follow the steps mentioned in the accompanying documentation to install the driver. This often involves extracting the archive and running a script or using a package manager to install it.

3. Update Alternatives:

After installing the Intel drivers, you might want to configure the system to use them:

sudo update-alternatives --config x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf
    sudo ldconfig

If prompted, select the Intel drivers from the list.

4. Restart X or Reboot:

Either restart your X session by logging out and back in, or just reboot your system to make sure the changes take effect.

5. Check Driver Status:

Run the same command again to see if there’s any change:

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"

6. Revert If Necessary:

If you encounter any issues or want to revert to the Mesa drivers:

sudo update-alternatives --config x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf

And select Mesa from the list. Then restart your X session or system.

Note: Intel often contributes directly to the Mesa drivers, so in many cases, the Mesa drivers are already up-to-date and provide good compatibility and performance. However, if you’re troubleshooting specific issues, trying out the official Intel drivers might be worthwhile.