Help - Remove mint dual boot and keep zorin after fixing grub

Hi

So a bit of a back story, I decided to attempt to fix an acpi error (mistake 1) by reinstalling grub (mistake 2). I used the boot repair app from Ubuntu (mistake 3) and it didn’t manage to reinstall grub after removing it.

I was stuck with an unbootable partition of zorin so I used my live Linux mint usb to try to fix things.

At this point, I gave up on fixing grub and I prepared to back up my files, wipe my ssd and install mint. Then it occured to me to dual boot mint with zorin. I chose the option and voila! I can now boot both zorin and mint.

The question:
After I got Zorin to work again, can I remove mint and allocate that space to my zorin installation? (Preferably without messing up grub again). What’s booting my system right now is Mint’s grub as it shows as the first option.
Thanks!

Hello @itssalahh

If you’ve managed to get both Zorin and Mint booting off of Mint’s GRUB, it means Mint’s GRUB has an entry for Zorin. This makes the process a bit easier.

Here are the steps to remove Mint and reclaim that space for Zorin:

1. Backup Important Data: Before you start, always ensure you’ve backed up any crucial data on both partitions. Even though we’re only modifying the Mint partition, it’s better to be safe.

2. Boot into Zorin OS: As you wish to keep Zorin, boot into it.

3. Install and Open GParted:

• If you don’t have GParted installed, you can install it with:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install gparted

• Launch GParted with sudo gparted.
  4. Locate and Delete Mint’s Partition:

• In GParted, locate the Linux Mint partition. It might be labelled as ext4 or another filesystem, depending on how you’ve set it up.
    • Right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’.
    • This will mark the partition for deletion but will not actually delete it yet.
  5. Expand Zorin’s Partition:

• Right-click on the Zorin OS partition and choose ‘Resize/Move’.
    • Drag the slider or enter the desired size to take up the unallocated space left from deleting the Mint partition.
    • Click on ‘Resize/Move’.
  6. Apply Changes:

• Click on the checkmark button (or choose ‘Edit’ > ‘Apply All Operations’) to apply the changes.
    • Wait for the operations to complete.
  7. Update GRUB:

• Since Mint’s GRUB is what’s currently booting your system, and you’ve now removed Mint, we’ll need to ensure Zorin’s GRUB takes over. Boot into Zorin if you aren’t already.
    • Open a terminal and run:
      sudo update-grub

• Next, to ensure Zorin’s GRUB is the primary bootloader, run:
      sudo grub-install /dev/sda

(Assuming /dev/sda is your primary hard drive; adjust if necessary.)
  8. Reboot:

• Once done, reboot your system to ensure everything works fine.

Remember, each system setup is unique, so while these are general guidelines, always monitor the process for any specific prompts or issues related to your configuration. If you’re unsure at any step, stop and ask for clarification or assistance.