Zoom virtuell background problem

Hello,

i have the problem that when i use zoom and want to use a virtual background it doesn’t really work.

HD video is activated, virtual background is also switched on/activated in the settings.

The picture flickers so strangely and if I deactivate “green screen technology”, I have a still picture.

My PC is fast enough and new enough, AMD 3400G, 16GB DDR3, 512GB SSD…
I Tried the Version from “Software” and from the original Website “ubuntu version”.

There is a Fail, if i click from one virtuell background to the “none” : “this option is not available because your administrator requires a virtual background to start the video”

Thank you very much.

(Version 5.9.6 actually)

Hello @stef2008

Thank you for reaching out regarding the Zoom virtual background issues on your Zorin OS setup. Based on the details provided, I’d like to address your concerns and provide some possible solutions:

1. System Requirements for Virtual Backgrounds: Your system specifications (AMD 3400G, 16GB DDR3, 512GB SSD) indeed seem to be more than adequate for Zoom’s virtual background feature. However, Zorin OS, being a derivative of Ubuntu, sometimes can present unique issues depending on the graphics drivers being used.

2. Graphics Driver: It might be a problem with the integrated Vega graphics on your AMD 3400G. Ensure you’ve installed the latest proprietary drivers for AMD graphics. You can do this by:

• Opening the “Software & Updates” tool from your system’s application launcher.
    • Navigating to the “Additional Drivers” tab.
    • Checking if there’s an option to install proprietary drivers for your GPU and selecting it.
  3. Zoom Versions: The version installed from the Software Center and the one directly from the Zoom website (even if it’s labeled “Ubuntu version”) might have slight differences. If one doesn’t work as expected, it’s always good to try the other.

Before reinstalling, make sure to completely remove the previous installation using:

sudo apt remove zoom
    sudo apt autoremove

After this, you can install the version of your choice.

4. Administrator Restrictions: The error “this option is not available because your administrator requires a virtual background to start the video” suggests that there might be an organizational policy enforced on your Zoom account. This would be a settings adjustment that your Zoom account administrator would need to address.

5. Virtual Background Optimization: You mentioned flickering, which can often be attributed to lighting conditions in the room. Ensure you’re in a well-lit environment without any shadows falling on your background. This will help Zoom to better differentiate between you and the background, even when “green screen technology” is deactivated.

6. Update & Test: Ensure that Zorin OS is updated to the latest patches. Sometimes, underlying system updates can solve compatibility issues. Additionally, after making any of the above changes, it might be helpful to test Zoom’s virtual background feature in a test meeting or with a friend before joining an official call.

If after trying the above steps you still face issues, please provide more details like any error logs or more specifics about the flickering, so that we can assist further.