Unnecessary Services

There a lot of services and programs that automatically come with a new Linux install. I would like to know which ones can I stop or remove safely. I have an Epson wireless printer and would like to be able to view youtube’s on line. The bottom line is that I only need to serf and do word processing and print and scan. I did a serch of all services and software in my Zorin 16 new install. There are a lot of them. I would like to know which ones can I safely shutoff or safely uninstall. I will be glad to provide a list of what is on my system. Have not done it with this request because the list is quite large.

Hello @Scott560

While I appreciate the need to optimize system performance and resources, your approach requires caution. Here are some reasons why and suggestions for safe optimization:

1. Diversity of Linux Distributions : Ubuntu and Zorin OS, while both based on Debian, are distinct distributions. They have different sets of pre-installed software and services. Thus, optimization steps for one may not be directly applicable to the other.
  2. Essential vs. Non-Essential Services : Linux-based operating systems have services running in the background, many of which are vital for system stability and functionality. Disabling certain services might result in unexpected behavior or system instability. It’s crucial to understand the role of each service before considering whether to disable it.
  3. Printer Compatibility : Since you have an Epson wireless printer, it’s important not to remove or disable printing-related services such as CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System). Similarly, scanning functionalities might rely on specific software or services that shouldn’t be removed.
  4. Web Browsing and Multimedia Playback : Viewing YouTube requires a modern web browser with support for video playback. This means retaining not only the browser itself but also related multimedia libraries and dependencies.
  5. Word Processing : Depending on the software you’re using for word processing (LibreOffice, for instance), you’ll want to ensure you’re not removing software libraries or services it might depend upon.

Recommendation :

• Backup : Before making any significant changes, ensure you have a backup of your data. This way, you can restore your system to its current state if something goes awry.
  • List Dependencies : Before removing any software, use package managers like apt to check their dependencies. This will help you understand what else might be affected by the removal.
  • Test in a Virtual Machine : If possible, clone your current system setup into a virtual machine. Test the removal or disabling of services in this environment first. It provides a safety net and ensures you won’t disrupt your main operating system.
  • Seek Specific Advice : If you provide a specific list of services or software you’re considering removing, it would be easier to advise on their necessity or redundancy. Given the vast array of software and services that can come pre-installed, general advice might miss specific nuances.

Remember, while trimming down unnecessary software and services can result in performance improvements, being overly aggressive might lead to functionality loss or system instability. Always approach such optimizations with caution and due diligence.