System freezes up after closing and opening laptop lid

I’m on Zorin OS Lite
The system keeps freezing up if I close my laptop lid and then open it
This has never happened in any linux distro I’ve used before

Here are my power manager settings

This is a known XFCE4 bug that can affect users on all distros using XFCE.
A conflict can be created between the screensaver and the XFPower Settings.
Normally, this can be resolved by setting the “Suspend when Lid Closed” in power settings to “do Nothing” and entering into terminal
xset s 0 0
However, this will also stop your screensaver from turning off your screen after however long you have it set for. If you use your screensaver, please let us know so we can look at trying something else.

1 Like

I was using Manjaro xfce for 3 years and never encountered this bug

There is no option to ‘do nothing’ there’s just ‘switch off display, suspend and Lock screen’

Ok
I set it as ‘Switch off dispaly’ and used that terminal command
And it seems to have worked

I don’t mind not using a screensaver so i turned off the screensaver and ‘lock with screensaver’ option in the settings

It’s working :v:

1 Like

I was using Manjaro xfce for 3 years and never encountered this bug

The trouble with bugs is… You can never be sure when they will pop up and bite you. :wink:
Glad you got it fixed. I also had that same trouble and had to do Hard Restart to get things working each time. At that time, I gave up on finding a solution and just did the hard restarts, til a Zorin Update fixed it.
It was not until later that I was helping others try to solve it when I figured out the above workaround.

So I closed the laptop lid and went to sleep and when i woke up it did the same this over again
Had to hard restart the laptop again
Maybe it has something to do with the sytem sleep timer?

What is your kernel version?

uname -a

$ uname -a
Linux areeb-Lenovo-E49 5.4.0-42-generic #46~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 10 07:21:24 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Also I randomly get black screens now

For the random black screen locking, this occurs when the system is trying to lock the screen after a set period of time, but not finding a configured screensaver, producing a black screen.
This may mean a setting somewhere is still set to try to enable the screensaver.

In terminal, can you run

sudo apt-get install xfce4-screensaver

sudo apt-get install xfce4-power-manager

If it says “already newest version” then please run 'apt-get remove" on each, then immediately run the ‘apt-get install’ on each.

I didn’t get a black screen this time… but if i keep the lid closed and come back to the laptop after several hours, the system just freezes like in the op
only the mouse pointer works for some time

areeb, I am not sure, really. Please let me research this a bit and get back to this thread.