Am not able to log in to zorin after updates, keyboard,terminal not working

Hello,I am using Zorin lite and yesterday I updated packages via terminal,I encountered some problems which lead me to running commands like --fix-missing,configure -a,at last I was able to update ,I did also upgrade it thou not all were upgraded,I switched off my laptop and when I came to power it on after sometime everything was okay with zorin logo showing and when it came to logging in, everything was in a mess,username and my picture was gone, keyboard was frozen and terminal was not working too,my touchpad is working,I looked for the onboard keyboard which I navigated with my touchpad and left key in my mouse,typed in my username and password but it showed incorrect password despite everything being correctly typed.I came to realize that grub terminal works perfectly fine .Please help!This is how it looks after powering it on.
IMG_20210422_203103_6|690x345

Hello @Serem

It seems like you’re experiencing a corrupted user profile or a significant system misconfiguration, especially after doing package updates and various fixing commands. Here’s a systematic approach to resolve the issue:

1. Access Recovery Mode:

Reboot your computer. As it’s starting up, hold down the Shift key. This should bring up the GRUB bootloader.

From here, select the Advanced options for Zorin OS and then choose the recovery mode.

2. Root Shell Prompt:

Once you are in recovery mode, there will be a list of options. Select root which will drop you into a command-line prompt with root privileges.

3. Check Disk Space:

Before making any changes, make sure you’re not out of disk space, as this can sometimes cause login problems.

df -h

Ensure there’s adequate space on your root partition (/).

4. Fix Broken Packages:

To ensure that all installed packages are in a consistent and unbroken state, run:

dpkg --configure -a
apt update
apt upgrade
apt --fix-broken install

5. Reset User Profile (Optional):

If you suspect your user profile got corrupted, you can move it and let the system create a new one. Replace username with your actual username.

mv /home/username /home/username.backup
mkdir /home/username
cp /etc/skel/.* /home/username/
chown -R username:username /home/username

This will move your old profile (including all your user files) to a backup directory and create a new profile for you.

6. Reboot:

Type reboot and hit Enter.

7. Log In:

Try logging in again. If you reset your user profile in the previous step, use the new profile to log in.

8. Restore User Files (if needed):

If you had to reset your user profile and you want to restore some personal files:

1. Navigate to /home/username.backup.
  2. Copy over any essential files to /home/username.

Note: If these steps don’t resolve the issue, you might be facing more significant system corruption. If this is the case, it could be a good time to consider a system reinstall. Always remember to back up essential files before doing so.

Additionally, for complex system issues, especially if multiple ‘fix’ commands have been run, sometimes the quickest way to a working system is a fresh install. It’s a last-resort suggestion, but it’s often faster and less stressful than trying to fix a severely broken system. If you have important files, you can usually access them from a live USB session and back them up before reinstalling.